Pages

Sunday 10 January 2016

2015: a retrospect

This is just here for posterity. Just ya standard end-of-year meme.



1. What did you do in 2015 that you'd never done before?
Obtained first real, full-time job
Travelled in a tiny boat in a crazy storm
Climbed a motherfucking volcano

2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think I made any concrete resolutions for 2015, but I have made a little list of things I want to do in 2016. They mostly involve cooking because I should probably have an arsenal of recipes so I have stuff to bring to dinner parties, etc.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

4. What countries did you visit?
The Solomon Islands.

5. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
Kitchen skills, ability to travel more often.

6. What date from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory?
Almost dying while climbing aforementioned volcano. But it was a great time, the whole Honiara trip was so much fun, thanks for hosting us, Austvina!

7. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

N/A

8. What was your biggest failure?
N/A I don't even know what I did this year.

9. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Tiny physical injuries I can remember:
I ran with some old, bad running shoes and injured my leg because of that.
I lit a bunch of candles with a lighter gun, and immediately after rested it on my thigh, so there's a square of burnt skin there.
I slipped near a boiling stream while climbing volcano and scraped up my lower leg.

My legs did not fare well in 2015.

10. What was the best thing you bought?
The shiny new Macbook. <3

11. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My brother worked hard, finished his degree/thesis and designed a portable dialysis machine that he is looking to get made into a real thing that will help people with kidney disease. I am quietly very proud of him.

12. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Miiiine?

13. Where did most of your money go?
I'm going to say food, but my laptop and gym membership probably made a sizable dent in my account which I am trying not to think about.

14. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
LISTENING TO HAMILTON. POTENTIALLY GOING TO SEE IT ON BROADWAY??? :D (I am listening to the soundtrack as I type this. A lot of my thoughts are anchored to Hamilton right now, not going to lie).

15. What song/album will always remind you of 2015?
ALL OF HAMILTON, even though I only first listened to it in late December. But it is so great, it eclipses everything I listened to before it. My favourites from it at the moment are The Reynolds Pamphlet and Wait for It, special mention to Yorktown, cos "immigrants: we get the job done". BUT IT'S ALL SO GOOD.

16. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder? ehhh, sameish.
ii. Thinner or fatter? fitter.
iii. Richer or poorer? riiiicher technically.

17. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Travelling, or saving money. It's amazing I managed to do basically neither of these things.

18. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Ordering take-out.

19. How will you be spending Christmas?
I was going to spend it with my partner's family, because lots of my own family were in Indonesia, but my mum and a bunch of aunts and uncles came back on Christmas Eve, so I joined them and a bunch of cousins for an intense amount of food and a movie marathon.

20. Did you fall in love in 2015?
HAMILTON.

21. How many one night stands in this last year?
None. My relationship with Hamilton is long-term. I know it's early, but I am calling it.

22. What was your favourite TV program?
Jane the Virgin, Jessica Jones, Orphan Black. I am sure I am forgetting stuff I watched earlier in the year; I watched an alarming amount of television this year, and I blame Netflix (I love you Netflix).

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No.

24. What was the best book you read?

Fresh Off the Boat by Eddie Huang was actually super surprisingly inspiring. It changed the way I thought about food and provided another voice in Asian minority literature. In the same vein, I re-read Her Father's Daughter by Alice Pung, and am excited to watch The Family Law this year. ASIAN VOICES IN THE MEDIA, YEAH.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
HAMILTON.

26. What did you want and get?
My Macbook, and to eat at a bunch of fancy-ass restaurants.

27. What did you want and not get?
To go to Japan with Kelly and Austvina! I initially planned to, but it just didn't work out, in the timing and financials :(

28. What was your favourite film of this year?

Inside Out, but there were a lot of films that came out in 2015 that I didn't get around to watching, though I want to eventually.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

My partner took me out to lunch at Bennelong, and then afterwards we went with another friend of mine to see Taylor Swift!!! I turned twenty-six.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Being able to go to Japan would've been nice, or more travel in general.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Pulled together, but secretly wearing gym clothes underneath.

33. What kept you sane?

Keeping routines and being able to hit my fitness goals.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you like the most?

Ingrid Nilsen <3

35. What political issue stirred you the most?

#BlackLivesMatter

36. Who did you miss?
Perhaps my father, I should make more of an effort to visit him I guess.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
N/A

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015:
Sometimes you just need to keep working at something, even though it seems like a terrible, no-good situation at the time. And sometimes you just need to walk away. It is often difficult to tell the difference.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

I went to war last night
With an automatic weapon, don't nobody call a medic
I'mma do it till I get it right

No comments:

Post a Comment