Pages

Thursday 10 December 2015

FOOD DIARY: Automata


Where: Automata
When: 14 November, 2015
Price: $88

It is rare that I go to a degustation for no reason; eating extravagantly is usually associated with birthdays, or anniversaries, or holidays. But I was reading through some food blogs, stumbled across Automata, and liked it so much that I mentioned it to my partner. Coincidentally, his boss had also been meaning to go there (being situated in the shiny new food hub of Kensington Street, and its relation to the Old Clare Hotel probably had something to do with it), strengthening our resolve to eat there. At $88 four five courses plus snacks, it was one of the more affordable and we assumed low-key degustation options, so we immediately booked a table, and the rest was history.

We were seated upstairs, which is just one long communal table, but comfortably spaced so that each party can have their privacy. I loved it because we were close enough to hear other people's reaction to the food, which is my favourite part of eating at restaurants (besides snarkily - but lovingly - dissecting the food myself with my dining mates).


menu
Not pictured: the cocktail I had with my meal. It was a gin-based one that I have since forgotten. I am sure it was delicious though.

pre-dinner nibbles
This plate doesn't have much going for it in terms of aesthetics, but they somehow managed to make a slice of lettuce be tasty with what I assume was magic sauce. The fish skin was also enjoyable, but I always welcome interesting texture in my meal.


bread & butter
You can't go wrong with Pepe Saya butter; infuse it with chicken jus and anchovies, then top with sunflower seeds and you get something that is too decadent for words. Also, it was served with warm, house-baked bread. Warm bread is my favourite.


stracciatella, fermented peach, kelp oil, tomato & sea blite
I'll be honest with you: I had no idea what half the above ingredients were. I still have no idea what a sea blite is, but apparently I ate it. The stracciatella was the milkiest cheese I have ever eaten, and while the fermented peach tasted a little weird at first, the flavour eventually grew on me.



king prawn, barley miso, asparagus & shiso
I know the king prawn is supposed to be the hero of the dish here, but that asparagus though! It was crunchy but not undercooked, and was amazing with the barley miso. The prawn was alright.



lamb heart, green sauce, cumin & fennel
I have no opinion on the lamb heart, but my partner enjoyed it. What he did not enjoy was the green sauce, which turned out to be made of coriander and thus, a deal breaker. The surrounding greens were a nice counterbalance to the meatiness of the lamb heart.


wagyu intercostal, dill pickle & turnip
As far as meat goes, I preferred the wagyu intercostal over the lamb heart - both texture- and flavour-wise. Speaking of texture, this dish had it in spades: crunchy fried capers (which were hella salty, in the best way possible), creamy turnip puree, and the sour pickle paired amazingly with the meat. My favourite dish of the night.


walnut ice cream, aged mirin & blood plum
I am a huge fan of the walnut ice cream, which was smooth and earthy, and not too sweet. The blood plum was crispy and sour, but I felt it a little strong for my palate. My partner seemed to like it though, and he's an ice cream connoisseur, so maybe you should defer to him on this.

Overall, the whole dining experience was charming, and it introduced me to a few surprising culinary delights (more stracciatella and fried capers on everything, please). Automata changes its menu regularly, and I can see that they're offering smoked quail right now, so I totally plan on going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment